Okay, I won’t lie and say this article directly relates to chemistry in any way. However, this general math knowledge will definitely come in handy whether it’s to impress your friends with quick calculation skills, impress others with mathematics trivia, or even gain a few points on a standardized test (which could ultimately help you advance your chemistry career!). Here are a few mathematics trivia:
- 0 is an even number.
- 0 is an integer! Most people forget this.
- Technically speaking, 0 is a multiple of all numbers.
- 2 is the only even prime number.
- Oddly enough, 0 and 1 are not prime numbers.
- Only positive numbers can be prime numbers.
I thought those were some pretty interesting mathematics facts that can always double as trivia. As for some calculation shortcuts, here they are:
- An integer is divisible by 3 if you add up all of the digits and the resulting number is divisible by 3. An example: the number 7,455 is divisible by 3 since 7 + 4 + 5 + 5 = 21 is divisible by 3.
- An integer is divisible by 4 if the last 2 digits are divisible by 4. For example: 424 is divisible by 4 since 24 is divisible by 4
- An integer is divisible by 8 if the last 3 digits are divisible by 8.
- Similar to the rule about a number being divisible by 3, the same rule applies to 9. An integer is divisible by 9 if you add up all of the digits and the resulting number is divisible by 9.
Hopefully these shortcuts will come in handy one day!
Pierce, Douglas. Cracking the GRE: With DVD : 2013 Ed. New York: Random House, 2012. Print.